Uninsured Vehicle Drivers and Accidents: A Dilemma

June 9, 2012

Out on our busy roads and motorways today, it is compulsory to have at least third party insurance to cover damage or injury when involved in an accident. Unfortunately, some drivers take the risk and fail to take out insurance which makes it far more complicated if an accident takes place.

It is bad enough being involved in a road accident but if the driver that is at fault is not insured to take the wheel of that vehicle or if it is a stolen vehicle then the incident appears even more traumatic.

Just like any other driver, those who are uninsured can inflict injuries on any road user. In this situation, it is still possible to make a personal injury claim for compensation.

If the person who causes the accident tells you that they do not have insurance to drive the vehicle that has been involved, but the vehicle is insured for another person to drive, that particular insurance company might still be prepared to handle any claims for personal injury compensation from a victim even though the driver was not insured. This is down to the insurance company concerned. If they are not prepared to take the case on or if there isn’t an insurance policy at all for the vehicle, the only possible way of dealing with the situation is to lodge a claim via the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).

The accident will most likely need to have taken place on a public access road or in an area where the public and their vehicles have unrestricted access. It is a legal requirement for all drivers to have valid insurance for their vehicles if they are driven on public roads. However, there is no fixed requirement to have insurance for vehicles driven on privately owned roads or areas.

Employers have to take out employers liability insurance for workers engaged in driving vehicles on their property so there will be no problems when accessing insurance if an injury takes place.

If you have been involved in an accident and the negligent party does not have any valid insurance, then call Lamb and Co who will be able to proceed with the case for you against either the Insurer of the actual vehicle, or against the Motor Insurance Bureau.