Injured and Unable to Work: What Happens Next?

September 12, 2014

At Lamb & Co we have realised it is the immediate aftermath of an accident that many people struggle with, struggle to understand. We are honoured to be able to help many clients every year claim compensation for their injuries after an accident but the immediate aftermath is often a period of confusion, distress and trauma. What happens if you’re injured and this means you can’t work for any given time period?

Injuries often leave you in considerable pain or even unable to do the things you’d usually do on a daily basis, including work and other necessary duties. If you are injured and have to take time off from work this can be a huge financial blow and this is especially true if the accident happens away from work.

Here is a series of steps you can take after suffering an accident or injury. The most immediate thing you should do is get treatment for your injury and your recovery process needs to come first. You will then need to try and get an understanding of the laws and policies which protect you, this could mean contacting your union or it could mean contacting the HR department at work, especially if you have access company sick pay. It may also be worth contacting your health insurer if you have one through work or privately.

The next stage is to get in contact with a personal injury solicitor, in the event that the accident or injury was the fault of another liable party. If your injury occurs at work then your injury lawyer will put together a case to prove their negligence and you will be able to make a claim for compensation against your employer. If your injury occurred in another place, perhaps in a public place or in a road traffic accident you may need to access a range of benefits to cover your time spent away from work, and you may be able to push forward with a claim against the relevant party.

All people in the employment of a company in the UK have access to 28 weeks of Statutory Sick Pay which is paid on a weekly basis at a rate of £87.55 for full-time workers and scaled down from this dependent upon the hours you work. If you don’t qualify for SSP then you may be able to apply for Employment and Support Allowance.

Though these payments may not equal your regular income in any way they are designed to help protect you for the period you cannot work. The compensation claim process is carried out as swiftly as possible but it can take a little time and though your final figure may include loss of earnings, you need to be prepared to get by for a while. Many employers are sympathetic and may allow you to use holiday pay whilst you recover and each individual case is different.